Has Runbox considered making a native iOS/Android app?

Not necessarily. IPs are not allocated to us on this basis.

When an email client attempts to auto-configure, it actually selects mx.runbox.com because it reads the DNS record first, and that’s the entry shown.

If possible, may I add mail.runbox.com as its own MX entry?

I’ve never known an email client do this as the MX entry is rarely the correct entry for incoming or outgoing mail for a client. If your email client is doing this it isn’t behaving in a normal way. Which client is this please and I’ll test this myself to see what is going on?

We do have an autoconfigure file which is what some clients will read and this contains mail.runbox.com for IMAP, POP and SMTP.

Let’s start with emClient.

eM Client is well known for getting this wrong. It does look up MX records, but it has no business doing that as MX records are for incoming mail being delivered to email accounts on our system they are not for SMTP submission or IMAP/POP retrieval. I realise it is trying to be helpful and will often come up with a configuration that works but it can cause issues later on.

In addition the automatic set up also uses the least secure port and TLS protocols (587/143) with STARTTLS) for SMTP and IMAP/POP. It can use the better options which is why we have instructions showing you how to set this up: https://help.runbox.com/imap-for-emclient/

It’s a minor point because there isn’t too much difference with those ports, but it’s an example of why automatic set up may not be the best option.

We always recommend a manual set up so that you are in control of how your email is set up and not the email client. We like eM Client which is why we recommend it, but with a manual set up only.

I hope that’s useful.

It most certainly is. Thanks.

Truer words have never been written. I have always hated automatic setup, no matter what mail client we’re discussing.

Can I suggest an app just for using files, a file-sync app?

Hello @lcruggeri and welcome to the community!

We are planning to expand the Runbox 7 PWA with a file storage service that may in the future include synchronization.

– Geir