Am I the only one experiencing IMAP (and some other) RB performance problems?

Hi Dave,

I’m sorry if I came off as a little frustrated. I truly do appreciate you guys (and gals!) at Runbox and what you do. I have replied with further detail. :slight_smile:

Not at all. Things are a bit slower today with support replies, but everything is fine and as I say,normally we get to replies much sooner.

I am having problems with imap and rb7. Rb7 hangs on login page. Cannot connect to imap. I have raised a support ticket. Same problem for my client who has his email domain at Runbox. This is urgent because we are in the midst of a lockdown and we have important ongoing communications with government offices.image

I am, too. I am getting 504s every time I try to connect. Even the webmail is having issues. Are we under attack? There’s supposed to be 27K messages in here.

Is the domain supposed to be mail. runbox. com, mx. runbox. com or imap. mx. runbox. com?

All of them point to 91.220.196.211, so they all should work.

The IMAP server is down.

We are currently seeing problems with some of our Dovecot servers which is affecting IMAP/POP access for some customers. We have a status post about this here: https://status.runbox.com/2020/03/02/imap-pop-issues/

Apologies for the inconvenience.

1 Like

Thought you should also know that BSB blacklisted my domain for four hours on April 17th. Y’all know what that was about?

I believe their servers are being used in a botnet. You were down on April 17th, too. The coincidence is too much.

Hi @Dave,

The whole reason I opened my trouble ticket on April 20 was that the very post you linked included the words “This has now been resolved.”

If I had known the issue was still ongoing, I would not have added to your workload with a new ticket (or this thread.) Thanks :slight_smile:

Thanks for your messages.

We are working hard to resolve these problems and suspect we have hit a bottleneck related to our network file system or the network itself due to growth in users and usage.

We know you depend on Runbox for your communication and we apologize for the problems you are experiencing. We greatly appreciate your support while we work to resolve these issues.

An overview of our status updates can in the meantime be found here: https://status.runbox.com/

– Geir

Hi,

up today still having problem with IMAP synch. Pllease review the issue and advise ETA

Max

We suspect faulty hardware in one of our storage units and are now restarting and upgrading it, while initiating acquisition of a replacement server.

– Geir

@Geir due to the IMAP issues I’ve been using the Runbox webmail interface (RB7) but that is also having serious performance issues (for me at least, and apparently the OP).

When I first load it, it takes more than 5s to show anything other than a blank screen, after which emails do eventually appear, but then clicking on them just results in an empty pane with no message, so I can’t actually read my email. Some do eventually appear, normally after more than 10s.

Does RB7 use the same IMAP infrastructure on the backend?

Regarding the wider issue, is there a plan to build in some redundancy into the infrastructure? If this is caused by a hardware failure on one of the units this would suggest that there is no redundancy built in.

That many people are sick of Google? Wonderful.

@gtf21 Even when using a local search index, Runbox 7 relies on a backend API to retrieve message data from the same storage units as IMAP and POP. Therefore issues with the storage units will have effects for all actions that involve accessing messages.

In the Runbox system, message metadata is also stored in a database which allows the webmail (Runbox 6 and 7) to list messages, folders, and other account content without accessing the storage units. IMAP on the other hand inherently relies on files on disk and is therefore affected to a greater extent even when simply listing folder contents.

We are considering options for architectures that provide greater distribution and isolation, as well as redundancy. First of all we need to resolve the most urgent issue at hand, which involved migrating data from one of our storage units to a new replacement server.

We will keep you posted about this at https://status.runbox.com.

– Geir

All working again

thank you

I wish I could say the same. It took multiple minutes to download just 3 messages totaling 244KB, over a 140Mb connection.

I found out what went wrong. Apparently, the blacklist was too overarching in its scope. I will try to add the mail server to the whitelist and see if I run into the same issue again.

Can Runbox consider not relying on Google Services? I currently block the googleapis.com domain at the hosts file level. Any website that depends on this will fail. There’s a probability that the spate in bad service I’ve been experiencing is because such a dependency is being exploited by malign actors.

Because Runbox competes with Gmail, it’s possible you’re being kept in the dark about a bug on purpose.

I noticed this on the Runbox Status page.

The Runbox status page is not hosted on the same servers or network as our email infrastructure and therefore this would have nothing to do with the topic of this thread. In fact, I believe that what you are seeing here is the result of the data that one of the pages fetches from the NodePing service.