Better browser for runbox

Hi! I am planning to live google community, gmail for runbox, google search for duck duck, chrome for firefox etc… Still not sure about firefox - could you guys please share an idea which browser considered safest it terms of data trucking, breach, fishing etc? Also, what browser the runbox better working with?

Hello, and welcome to the forum.

Most browsers are suitable for Runbox, though the new Runbox 7 will not be usable on Internet Explorer (but will work with Edge).

Amongst the Runbox team we use a mixture of browsers, and we do of course test Runbox works with major browsers such as Firefox, Safari, Chrome, Opera and Edge. You can get plugins for your browser that help block tracking and advertising. Some of the well known ones are Adblock Plus and Ghostery.

Many of the browsers also make use of Google’s Safe Browsing Service that means browsers can automatically block websites that may pose some kind of thread such as malware or phishing.

I hope that helps :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hello memater!

I use Firefox myself, since they seem to me to be pretty commited to the idea of protecting users privacy, including tracking that you mentioned: they recently revealed plans to block tracking cookies by default in future releases.

If you’re concerned about tracking, I personally can’t recommend https://www.eff.org/privacybadger enough: build by Electronic Frontier Foundation. Unlike other tracking protecting addons PB does not have a blacklist or a whitelist controlled by Someone[tm], but rather it learns about what is a tracker and what isn’t by observing the internet you browse – so when you visit many websites that happen to all talk to some google server that sets some cookies on your browser, it’s going to start blocking them as they seem to be doing something malicious. It’s a joy to install it on a new computer and gradually see trackers (and ads, since that’s what most of them are) disappear :­)

The downside is that it may break some websites by accident by blocking something that was crucial to the website: but in those cases it can always be either disabled for that site or adjusted on a per-tracker basis.

Hope this helps :­)

2 Likes

That’s interesting. It’s not something I’ve used myself yet, but I was aware of it. It doesn’t look like it shares your browsing data with anyone either, and just stored it locally?

I have used Privacy Badger with Firefox for quite a while and it seems to be doing its job very well.

And it reports that there are no trackers on this website. Hooray! :+1:

– Geir

1 Like

My favorite browser is Vivaldi, which is a fork of Opera. I installed extensions Privacy Badger and HTTPS Everywhere. I set duckduckgo as my default search engine. I also use Cyberghost Pro vpn for annonymis browsing.

1 Like

Hello Tadzik, thank you, it helps!

1 Like

I havent used privacybadger yet, however i use mostly (99.99% of the time) only firefox since it was released. Even after chrome was released, I never felt a need to switch to another browser.
I use a few extensions but only ones i trust. Chrome does not have all the ones i use. ie. no-script
Also a negative point about chrome came out in the last days, it seems chrome logged some gmail users directly on the browser if they had logged in email. A lot of people complained on internet forums.
Chrome also removed the http from the urls and it looks like they want to remove www also.
I just stick with firefox =)

2 Likes

Thank you Hernan, appreciate your input! Have you ever consider Brave?

I havent used Brave yet. I see its based on chromium.
Thanks for the hint!
When i need to test something on chrome, i use chromium =)

The Brave is a product by former mozilla creator. looks solid, still in beta. and very crypto oriented. worth to try!

I’m super conscious about privacy and security. In my experience, it’s less about which browser you use and more about how you use it.

For example, set up your browser to block all 3rd party cookies by default, and block javascript by default. Just by blocking javascript, webpages load super fast. Granted, this will break most sites, but it’ll usually load enough for a person to decide if it’s worth unblocking javascript and reloading the page.

Couple the above with an addon like uBlock Origin, and regular blocklist updates and you can expect a reasonable amount of privacy. It also helps to use an addon that strips tracking tokens from URLs, so you won’t contribute to companies like Facebook profiting from the lazy sharing habits of friends and family.

The downside to that is then you must be more mindful of your actions, and it takes an extra step to see each website how you want to. But, one can’t be security/privacy-minded and expect an easy/casual experience both at the same time. There will be sites you’ll need to permanently enable javascript - those you trust enough, or use too often, for example.

In my testing, Runbox 7 runs great in Firefox (linux), Chrome/ChromeOS (am using it as a PWA currently), and in Fennec/Firefox on android (fennec is the FOSS variant).

Use Duck Duck Go or Searx. If you have a home server, like a pi-hole, it’s pretty easy to add searx to it for local use to extend your privacy.

This is all just my own opinion, so don’t take it all as gospel. I’m pretty obsessive about my privacy.

1 Like

Long term user of linux and runbox, they work great together.
I agree it is a lot about how you use your browser, the only exception is firefox’s multi accounts containers.
I haven’t seen anything similar in other browsers.
In addition to everything else already mentioned they are a game changer for privacy IMHO.
Basically they allow every tab to be independent in regards to cookies and sessions, which means that theoretically you could be logged in facebook on one tab and navigating on the other without facebook being able to keep track of your browsing…
I use it with an additional addon called temporary containers for more convenient generation and deleting.
Anyway, just my two cents in case any other privacy obsessed people was interested in giving them a try…