Calendar: friction points

Few points that cause discomfort in the calendar app:

• event colors could be displayed already in the preview, now only after clicking on a day,
  • clicking on another day could display that day instead of closing the preview of the first one,
  • deleting an event deletes it but does not close the modal (should) and does not refresh the main window (or does not remove the event from it), should,
  • hover/tap on a day could also display a button “new event” with the date prefilled to the date of the clicked day,
  • new event modal too narrow, not responsive to the window width,
  • no default calendar, should be pre-filled (what i see as a discomfort can be regarded as a feature, true),
  • date format and first day of week should be based on user’s preferences,
  • selecting minutes in the sub-modal: up & down arrows should increase/decrease by 5 or even 15 minutes,
  • in that same sub-modal the set/cancel buttons (and maybe even the arrow buttons < > ^ v ) should be larger (do i have big fingers?),
  • description should accept styles,
  • setting a start date and time should set the end date and time to the same value as any earlier is anyway not meaningful.

I hope these small tips help!
Ondra

1 Like

Hi, thanks for those! Some confirm the ideas we had before, while some question the choices we made – that’s the feedback we’re looking for :­)

clicking on another day could display that day instead of closing the preview of the first one

Huh, I thought it already did that… thanks for pointing it out!

deleting an event deletes it but does not close the modal (should) and does not refresh the main window (or does not remove the event from it), should

It does both of these for me. What’s the device/browser that you’re using? Does the event get properly deleted (after you refresh the page?)

hover/tap on a day could also display a button “new event” with the date prefilled to the date of the clicked day
date format and first day of week should be based on user’s preferences

Both of these (except for the date format – good point) have been implemented and will be released today.

datetime selector submodal

Yeah, I’m not very happy about that component either. I’ll see if we can improve it or just replace it with something more sensible.

description should accept styles

I looked into it and it seems like there is an Outlook extension (X-ALT-DESC) that allows for HTML event descriptions. I’m not personally thrilled about the idea of allowing near-arbitrary HTML in calendar events, but we can look into supporting (some sane and safe) subset of that. Another approach could be to automatically apply Markdown (which is also the format we use here on the forums) to event descriptions – this way they will remain a human-readable text while still allow for some limited styling ;­)

My imported yearly events span two days. If I add a yearly event it works. The imported events behave strangely in the calendar in that they will all collapose under a couple of days in the month. I can email some screenshots outside of the forum so you can see what’s happening. Very odd. image

The imported events behave strangely in the calendar in that they will all collapose under a couple of days in the month

I think I know what issue you’re describing here – especially if it tends to away after a page reload – if it is what I think it is then I fixed it and will release the fixes later today. If they do stay in the wrong places after the reload then they have been indeed imported wrongly somehow – feel free to email me at tadzik@runbox.com.

Browser: last FF under Win10. Now it worked on a second computer having ± the same setup (OS, browser).
Deleted after refresh: it actually was not deleted. It is possible that i overlooked and thought it was. Sorry.

Styling: i would like to be able to paste text from an email while keeping at least the basic styling (paragraphs and/or line ends, bold, italic, lists). Some clients/servers have that functionality, including the G… one.

I checked this evening and all seems good now. I think you fixed it. Thank you!

Another one (not spotted or new): When clicking on day in a month view, a preview of all events of that day is displayed. This works only for the days of the current month, not for those of other months despite that they their events are displayed. The preview should be displayed for these too, similarly as the (+) button is.

The preview could include the beginning of the description too, in a lighter colour?

When an event is clicked on, an edit for is rendered. For a better legibility, only a preview should be rendered and the form only after clicking on an “edit” button. This should be achievable in the same modal simply by modifying the CSS (visibility of some elements, visibility of borders of others) when clicking on the edit button.