DinosaursWantToParticipateToo

I really like Runbox 7’s speed and its fresh esthetic, BUT I find myself reverting to Runbox 6 more often than not because, frankly, Runbox 7 seems more oriented to cell phone use than desktop or laptop computers. Since I don’t use anything else --don’t even own a phone-- it can be annoying sometimes.

Runbox 7, unlike its predecessor, always presents me with all three panes, which I have to readjust every time, in order to facilitate a more comfortable and efficient view on my laptop screen. That’s one reason I frequently find myself reverting to Runbox 6 and its more conventional layout. It would be nice if Runbox 7 would remember my settings.

The other reason is that Runbox 7 does not display my photo attachments fully within the message, as does Runbox 6. It was kinda nice knowing exactly what your recipient would see upon receiving something and I’m sure they appreciated being saved a step as well. Displaying it as an attachment icon/thumbnail at the bottom of the message is a bit of a step backwards, I think. Possible to change this?

I’ve been a runbox user for a long time and am otherwise very satisfied. Just wanted to throw in my two cents, as there may be other dinosaurs out there with the same minor complaints.

P.S. Oh, yeah. It’d be nice to have that ‘Refresh’ button in Runbox 7 as well. It’s probably redundant really, but is/was a great placebo nevertheless.

1 Like

Hello @randallhale

Thanks for joining the forum. Dinosaurs are welcome too, but I am sure you have mislabelled yourself there :slight_smile:

It’s interesting that you say it seems more orientated to mobile phone use because although we have aimed to make it more mobile friendly it actually gets far more testing on desktops and laptops I would imagine.

The issue of the page layout not being retained is a known one and something we are looking at so that it remembers it on a per browser basis. So hopefully we can get that fixed eventually.

Displaying photo attachments might not be something that has been raised before, so what I’ve done is created a public issue for this on our GitHub page which you can see below. That will now be considered as an enhancement (although I’ve deliberately framed the request as a loss of a feature from Runbox 6).

Yes, the refresh button should be redundant really as the interface now automatically updates when new messages are received. However, you do have a point about it having a use if you want to be sure new messages are not waiting. I’ll discuss that with my colleagues to see what they think.

Thanks for the kind words about Runbox, it’s great to read you are satisfied with our service. Hopefully we can make Runbox 7 something you are happy to use also.

1 Like

What I miss with runbox is the dark mode .Really wery few email services have a dark mode. If you write much email then a dark mode would be wery nice. Of course there are apps I can implement that darkens my screen ,but that is not paired with the speed of runbox and it may damage the computer. I think a darkmode would be a wery nice for runbox users.

1 Like

Resuscitating this thread, as I think this is the exact problem of Runbox 7, and the reason why its development is so slow.

A laptop and a desktop are my main tools, but I do use smartphones and tablets when away.

I also think that Runbox 7 may be OK on smartphones or tablets; but I still find Runbox 6 more efficient, even on a small smartphone screen. I would definitely hate to use Runbox 7 on a laptop or desktop.

I think that Runbox 7 has its place alongside Runbox 6. Why not simply call Runbox 7 m.runbox.com, and leave Runbox 6 on runbox.com for full-sized desktop layouts? - That is common practice on many websites - users being free to choose whatever display they prefer on whatever machine they use? - Maybe such an approach would satisfy everyone, and would allow Runbox 7 to reach a stage of maturity, which it seems to struggle to attain.

Hello @popof.

There are many reasons why Runbox 6 will not be maintained in to the long-term future but we can’t detail them all here unfortunately.

Runbox 7 actualy works better on a desktop/laptop as that is where most of the time has been spent on development so I’m really surprised you say it seems like it works better on a mobile device. We’re still working on making it better suited to mobile platforms. Runbox 6 isn’t a good experience on modern mobile devices as it was never designed for touch screens or the small screens on phones.

What I’m most interested in here is why you find Runbox 7 so poor on a desktop/laptop. Is it a personal preference or does it actually look poor in some way or not function as you expect. It would be very helpful to us to get some details from you rather than just general comments which don’t tell us what you would like to see done differently.

If you don’t want to do that publicly then feel free to open a support ticket, but we’re very happy to discuss it on the forum too and get comments from other people along the way.

For productivity, I need to have as many links / checkboxes / buttons leading directly to as many folders / move (+ copy if possible) / filters / aliases pages / options etc. all on one screen.

The layout of Runbox 6 is absolutely perfect. I use it on my small smartphone without problems - and I am a 65 y.o. dinosaur!

If there is no choice but to evolve to Runbox 7, then I’d like it to be customisable so that it can be as compact as possible with at least as many links / buttons etc. all in one screen. And hamburger menus, ellipses (3 vertical dots), magnifying glasses, oversized icons, big buttons and plenty of wasted empty space like on this forum’s layout - all that is annoying and time-wasting on a large desktop or laptop screen.

I do recognize the need for a specific small screen layout; but I think that an efficient and productive website should be adaptive - not responsive. A bit like this calculator site: costperkg.com where desktop / laptop users see one version, and users with screens smaller than 800px see another version, which actually looks like a little app.