Disable synchronize index popup

Hi,

Is there a way to permanently disable this popup? Every time I log in to Runbox 7 on any device, this appears and I have to click “x” (no) once again. Why won’t it remember this preference?

The popup: “Welcome to Runbox 7! Runbox 7 will now synchronize with your device to give you an optimal webmail experience. If you’d later like to remove the data from your device, use the synchronization controls at the bottom of the folder pane.”

I understand that once it’s enabled, it can be disabled in the lower left corner. But I don’t want it to ever synchronize in the first place.

Thanks

Hello,

Thanks for your message.

At the moment this isn’t a user preference that is stored in your account. It should only appear once on any device though unless you are clearing your cache each time you log out or close the browser?

Hi Dave - Yes, I am clearing my cache each time I close the browser.

I thoroughly second this. I don’t want to even have the OPTION to synchronize to local storage, that’s a huge security risk. I want it totally disabled.

Additionally, the idea of popups on login, EVER, are horrifying. I don’t even want to see popups on login if they cure cancer or babies are on fire. I don’t care. I will never care. If I have logged in at all, it is almost always because I have logged in to solve a problem right-now-dammit. I want a system that is immediately ready to use with no questions. Software should never, ever, break the user’s stride. If you have some important this-or-that, put an “!” icon somewhere in the header where I can click on it if I really and truly have nothing better to do.

1 Like

Thanks Matt, I was wondering if anyone else was bothered by this, particularly since the service is supposed to be privacy / security oriented.

I would imagine some users want a browser-only experience - with no possibility of ever having a local sync occur - and the ability to clear the cache without a popup continually appearing on login.

This is indeed a security risk, especially for certain situations such as needing to access webmail on a public / shared device in a pinch. For example, if you lose your device while traveling and have to use a hotel business center.

And with this popup, it is too easy to accidentally hit the wrong button and start a local sync (I have almost done this multiple times). It is also not clear what exactly a sync entails, can it be completely removed from the local drive, etc.

That said, I just switched to a different service because of this.