Folder Management

I have no problems with the auto expanding folder system. But some items that would need to be considered for it…

1. if one accidentally drops something somewhere else by mistake, we need the ability to do a search, and drag and drop the search results to the correct folder. As of now, doing a search searches all boxes, but does not let you know what folder a particular item is in. So even if i dragged it to the right folder, there would be no indication in the search results of this. I ran into problems like this as it searches items in the trash and spam. I had thought i had deleted an item, and i kept trying to delete it again from the search results. Took me a while to realize that the search was searching the trash. It was also not actually deleting it from the search results. though that is a separate issue that is currently being looked at.

2. Should the auto-expanded folder collapse again once the item was dropped into the correct folder?

I am not sure i would want all my folders to be expanded by default. It would make navigating around a pain. I prefer Dave’s idea of remembering opened folders so folders that are most often used are visible. Then auto-expanding and auto-collapsing folders when dragging items to it would make more sense.

Another major issue I have with the all-auto-expand-folders is that I can’t see new unread emails automatically moved to folders «off screened» by upper expanded folders (I extensively use filters rules).

Having to scroll all around to just classify emails or just to know if some new emails from specific contacts arrived is really a pain.

Personnally I prefer a folder management that remembers what is expanded and collapsed (as it runs in the current Runbox 6 actually).

Auto-expand/auto-collapse is a constraint. It does not let you any choice. Better let the choice to users, no?

1 Like

Thanks for sharing your experiences and suggestions.

We’re discussing the various alternatives with our developers in order to find the best solution.

• Geir

I think it was me that started the whole automatically opening and closing thing. I didn’t mean in preference to users having a choice :slight_smile:

My personal preference would be for the user to choose which folders are expanded or not and for the system to remember that. In addition, folder structures that are not expanded could auto-expand if I drag a message over the parent folder, allow me to drop a message in to a sub-folder, and then close again afterwards.

And in addition to both of the above, I want to decide which order my folders are in. I want to be able to change the order from it being alphabetical to anything else I want it to be. I can do this in my mail client (Apple Mail) and it is hugely useful for placing the folders I use most nearest to the Inbox.

While search is essential to have, I’m pretty organised with my mail and a lot of the time I know where to find a message and seeing it in the context of the other messages in that folder is useful rather than using search which might return too many results.

I just want everything really… but then Geir knows this already :wink:

Noting comments on this in issue #584.

Dave: Everything is possible, but possibly not immediately. :slight_smile:

• Geir

Will folder management include creating “favorite” folders that can be displayed in the root of the folder tree but exist elsewhere?

Thank you so much for adding collapsible folders. Having all the folders expanded was driving me crazy.

I had previously asked here on the forum:

https://community.runbox.com/t/folder-management/174

Quote:

I was hoping to find more options for folders, including being able to set up an autopurge of a folder for e-mails within that folder older than “x” days.

If not being offered, that is a real disappointment.

Has this been re-considered since my original post?

This is a folder management issue so I’ve moved your message to this topic which you referred to. There is a response to your suggestion from Kim here. It isn’t something we are considering further at this point, but as always we welcome any further opinions on such a feature.

I would really like to see you offer this autopurge, as I’ve described.

Will you even consider this?

Yes, we consider all suggestions, and that’s not just some standard response that means we’ve read your suggestion but won’t do anything :slight_smile:

I’ve created a GitHub issue for this so that it will be looked at.

In terms of when it might happen, we have a full program of work at the moment making sure that we have all the features in Runbox 7 that would be expected when compared to Runbox 6. Once we have achieved that it is interesting suggestions such as yours that we can assess to see how much work is needed to implement them.

Out of interest, have you see this particular feature elsewhere?

I have a FastMail account, and they have this autopurge option on all folders, it’s easy to create folders, for example I have created folders called “7-Days” and “90-Days” which purge after 7 & 90 days.

With filters set up, a lot of e-mails are automated, which means less work doing housekeeping.

Outlook.com offers auto purge.

I also have autopurge set up in Gmail accounts using a script.

3 Likes

I like that feature. +1

It would be nice to see collapsable folders when moving messages too. For example, when I click on the Move from the floating toolbar all the folders in my Inbox folder are displayed and there is no way to collapse the folder. A good starting point would be to not automatically collapse the folders when moving and allow for expanding and collapsing folders within the Move message popup that appears.