Labels / Filters / Folders need significat upgrade

Hi all,
I have several requests:

1. I really love to be able to use filters to label mails. It’s very useful because I can ‘group’ mails without being forced to move them into specific folders. This is what I do with gmail filters/labels. Is it something we can see on Runbox? This is a top priority for me.
  2. It will be useful to build filters in order to perform more actions simultaneously (i.e.: mark every mail from ‘sender’ as read & move into ‘folder’, etc.)
  3. I use subfolders. This is not very comfortable in Runbox7, because the mail count near each folder only reports the number of emails in that folder, ignoring the subfolders content.
    I have a folder named ‘Social’ containing 2 subfolders named ‘Reddit’ and ‘Twitter’. I used filters to automatically move incoming mails from Twitter / Reddid in their specific subfolders. But even if I have hundreds of mails in those subfolders, the ‘Social’ folder reports zero. I can see the unread/total mail counts only if I expand the ‘Social’ folder in the sidebar, showing the subfolders. This behaviour is not very good, because users have no idea new mail came until they manually expand the folder view in the sidebar. This can become even more uncomfortable using several subfolder layers.

Thanks you guys!

A big hug from Italy (in quarantine atm)

1 Like

I think this is an area Runbox has the opportunity to really shine over the competitors. I’ve made a few suggestions, slightly different than yours, but with the same goal in mind. Making organizing your messages so easy you don’t hardly have to think about it.

Folders are something we could do quite a lot with. As the whole idea of Runbox 7 is that it is best used with a local index of messages, it would be possible to have “Smart” folders that would work according to a number of editable parameters.

We’ve also mentioned in passing the idea of being able to save complex searches as folders so that the next time you need to do the same search you just click on a folder instead.

Any ideas are gratefully received; though we can’t promise we would implement them

1 Like

Smart folders as described would be really nice. It would diminish the need for more complex rules. And, if tied in with tagging or smart tagging it would really help you organize and filter through your emails.

Hi all,
I still haven’t found a way to categorize emails with filters so that, for example, all the email from Runbox Community Forum can be found in the same place, but without skipping the Inbox folder. I do it with Gmail using filters. Gmail filters let me ‘mark’ with a label all the emails that match my filter rules without moving them in a particular folder. At the moment I found myself missing reading mails that are moved away from inbox because of filters and mail counter that doesn’t work when unread emails are in subfolders.

The counters work for me, but I think there are huge opportunities to add features to enable users to better organize and manage their messages. It took me well over 200 rules just to organize all the different non-personal messages that come into my inbox and that number keeps growing.

This is something we are going to have a major focus on in the future. As you may be aware, Runbox for a long time has used a database message index (even before Runbox 7) and the time is right now that we have an app that runs in the browser to make more use of that.

We’ve discussed various ways of doing this and although none are confirmed yet (which is why I am not being too specific) we do have some interesting plans. You may have seen one recent addition which is a feature that shows the names of people you’ve recently corresponded with. Although this isn’t specifically about labelling messages, it’s an example of the way in which we can use the index to make the interface more useful.

@Geir might be able to add some more details here :slight_smile: (or not if he’s keeping them under wraps for a big reveal)

1 Like