New feature: Search option builder

We’ve just deployed a new version that lets you easily add various criteria like Subject, To, From, and Date to your searches. You can also limit the search to the current folder.

Click the 55 button at the right-hand side of the search bar, and the following options will pop up:

Each of these will add an example search option to the search field, which you can then edit as desired.

– Geir

2 Likes

Any plans for saved searches/“smart” folders?

Yes, saved searches/smart folders are something we’ve been discussing. The general feeling so far is that they would be useful. So while they aren’t officially on the development plan (yet), I suspect we will do something like this sooner rather than later :slight_smile: No promises; but seems likely.

Hi,
It’s a bit old topic, but maybe I can add some comment here rather than opening a new one.

I have checked the “multiple search field” box which provide nice options, but maybe a few ones are missing (In my very humble opinion)

I was formerly a gmail user (nobody’s perfect) and they had a feature I found pretty interesting.
They offer to use some keywords to refine search.

The ones I liked most was: “has:attachement” / “has attachement pdf”…
Very powerfull when you look for a specific attached file (can be combined with other criteria).

An other one was search on size: “larger_than:5M”
Very powerfull when a bit of cleanup is needed (or combined if you look for a specific PDF larger than…etc).

They have other keyword like “from:” or “to:” etc…

I like the keyword idea in the search field (a bit “geek”, a bit less clicks, only typing). But additional fields in the advanced search could do the job too (or both? :crazy_face:)

2 Likes

This sounds like a good idea.

When searching trough really old mail, it’s usually a receipt in my case, and filetype and size would help a bunch.

+1 for the usefulness of the facet search commands you mention. BTW outlook uses them too. How could we live without that?!

You guys are absolutely right! These sort of keywords are a very powerful tool and should be considered for implemention, in my opinion!

I use saved searches in my FastMail account in preference to folders, and this works very well.

I would like to see this option also in Runbox.

Currently the options area that gets open after clicking on the wrench icon opens on the bottom of the page. It’s very far on a computer display, far to travel on a touchpad. Would it make sense to open it in between the search line and the header of the messages list?

One suggestion, provide an “X” to remove search criteria you do not want or need in the list that pops up for each search criteria. The same for the general search bar. This is a handy option. Thanks.

Hello. Just to be clear, you mean to make the search terms individual items each with an X to remove it. Perhaps a bit like the addresses in the Compose window which are in “lozenges” but don’t have an X to remove them?

1 Like

Exactly. Thanks for the consideration.

It’s now a public GitHub issue that will be considered.