Question about "Trash" [#919]

Hi!

Sometimes I do a search which produces results including both emails in Trash and emails in regular, non-Trash folders. If I select them all, what happens to the emails already in Trash? Do they just stay there, or do they get purged?

Thanks.
D.

Hi!

Deleting a message from Trash will permanently remove it from your account.

We have created issue #919 for removing messages moved to Trash from the index, so that they don’t appear in search results.

– Geir

I was just wondering whether it is on purpose. And this seems to be an answer. I would actually partisan the opposite: keep the trashed messages in the index so as they can be found (after being trashed by mistake or because the message becomes needed after all).

(Using the search in a trash bin does not do anything. It probably should - just now i needed to find a trashed message.)

Draft messages do not appear either. There I would argue even stronger that they should be among the search results.

Perhaps this could be made into an option as some users keep significant amounts of messages in their Trash folders and would not necessarily want them to show up in search results.

The same could go for Drafts, since they too could clutter search results.

Opinions? :slight_smile:

– Geir

I agree with Geir. Leave it as an option, perhaps in Advanced Search (“Multiple search fields”), so that the option could be easily turned on and off.

By the way, I think that it would be better to change “Multiple search fields” to “Multiple Search Fields”, since that is the convention for capitalizing titles, labels, etc. in English. In fact, maybe it should be labeled “Advanced Search”, since that is what people are used to, I think.

Thanks.
D.

@davidjj, @Geir, as a user interested in including such locations (trash, drafts), i would prefer to have them always in, that is a global and permanent setting. A need to always tick something before runnig a search would be quite cumbersome.

Hi!

I didn’t mean that you would have to tick something before every search. I meant that it would preserve its previous setting, and you would only have to tick or untick something if you wanted to change the search field.

Thanks.
D.