Runbox 7 feedback

Hi

As I’ve been using Runbox 7 now for 6 weeks or so, via a recommendation, I just wanted to give some feedback as R7 is still in beta.

I note from various posts in the forums that I will be echoing several opinions, however, the more voices that make the same points, maybe the devs will look at them in time.

I assume that as R7 has been in beta for quite some time, that the devs team is quite small and it takes time for these things to reach fruition. In that respect I appreciate the time taken by the devs to get a pretty good looking/stable R7 into existence, and open source as well. Well done.

The following points are to help, not to criticize the development of R7.

1 - The ‘good morning blurb’ et al, can be removed without hurting anyone’s feelings. The space can be better utilized by moving ‘inbox’ etc up the page. To this effect, the ‘drafts/compose’ can be moved to the main bar. Lots of space doing nothing there. Also on the main bar, there is room for ‘forums’ and ‘logout’ which would be nice. Or at the very least, one icon just for logout for ease and speed of use please.

2 - What and why is ‘overview’? Again it takes up space below ‘drafts’ for no good reason that I can see. At least the ‘popular recipients’ can be disabled, however, as others have noted, whether the personalized settings stick on a reboot is another matter. I’ve stopped trying to save settings, save columns etc tbh.

3 - Continuing on the left hand ‘inbox’ panel, is it possible to move ‘trash’ to the bottom of all the folders, or for us to move the folders to the positions we prefer, ie - not in alphabetical order. My ‘work’ folder is off my FHD screen and I need it at the top in constant view. To scroll down to ‘w’ and back up to ‘inbox’ is frustrating to say the least.

4 - Instead of using the 'ISO 8601’ standard date format, in the middle (of 3) email panel, which imho is just annoying, though technically correct, is it possible to use the U.K./European standards, or the option to change it in the preferences.

5 - The entire layout of R7 is pretty good, though I do agree with a previous post saying that Fastmail is excellent. I used them for 6 years until their service was having too many slow downs for me at truly vital times. Deadlines were being missed, so goodbye Fastmail.

6 - So, is R7 the fastest webmail on the planet - no, just no, even to the extent of false and mis-leading advertising. To go from ‘inbox’ to any other folder can take several clicks. To navigate from a single email to a folder likewise, to wait for a folder to load 70+ emails takes far too long. So much so that, although I appreciate the free 13 months, if a service is unusable, what is the point of that service?

FYI - I have a 60Mb/s download connection with 45Mb/s upload.

7 - I have drafted several emails that when I send, R7 states that the email has been sent but the original still remains in ‘drafts’ leaving me to wonder, whether or not, the email did indeed go to the intended recipients. This, in my line of work, is a deal breaker. This has happened on too many occasions.

8 - I note that you have fixed the ‘export contacts’ on R7.

A more compact left hand panel would be good aka Runbox6, and a dark theme also, but these are minor in comparison to the negatives as outlined above. The other thing I miss is the ability to save the webpage as MHT. When I do, it misses large chunks of the page. I have tried this on several browsers and different MHT add-ons, including UNMHT, Mozarchiver, Mozilla archive format, but none of them do what should be easy to accomplish. I suspect Java is the problem for this, and as all websites are moving, with great speed, to the new Java standards, I assume this will be a recurring problem for me, though I note this is not a problem with R7 per se.

Before this turns in to an essay (too late?) I will leave it there and again thank the devs for their time and effort.

Kind regards

Kris

4 Likes

@Kris, good thinking. I adhere to many of the points and would sustain that where possible and meaningful, the choice should be given to the user: date format, first day of week, … . And those settings should be sync’ed over the server to the other devices.

Overview should be optional so as the Popular recipients are. Same for the welcome message.

I would like to be able to use an enhanced search capability (date range, has:attachment, exact wording [“blue sky”] vs optional [“blue” OR “red”], search terms should fill-in the form when i type them so as one can get the confirmation of what is being searched for when uncertain).

But as always, praise to the developers and thanks for the service!

@Kris Welcome to the forum, thank you for the detailed feedback – and apologies for the belated response.

Please find answers to each comment below.

1. We recently deployed a condensed main menu which does much of what you suggest. We’re considering other changes to make more efficient use of (vertical) space and may make the welcome message in the top left corner smaller in the future. For now it serves the purpose of providing useful links in a friendly manner.

2. The Overview provides a dashboard with your digital activity as represented by your incoming email. Many email users increasingly receive alerts and notifications from various services such as social media, mailing lists, alerting services, and other automated email in addition to regular, manually sent email. By organizing email by sender with a number of display controls the aim is to provide the user an instant, aggregated summary of their digital communications and activities. An upgrade to Overview was implemented recently and we will continue making improvements going forward. We may introduce a setting to control this menu item in the future (the Popular Recipients setting should currently be maintained from one session to the next).

3. We see the usefulness of custom folder orders and have added an issue for this here: https://github.com/runbox/runbox7/issues/1002

4. We have an existing issue for supporting different date and time formats here and have now increased its priority: https://github.com/runbox/runbox7/issues/141

5. We’re continuously working to improve the layout and design of Runbox 7 further and as mentioned we just implemented a smaller main menu that uses the vertical space more efficiently while still providing one-click access to all areas of the app.

6. Are you using the local (synchronized) index as indicated by the button in the lower left corner beneath the folder list? If you are, switching between folders and performing searches should be immediate. Otherwise the app will fall back to retrieving message lists and search index from the server and we are working to improve the speed of these processes.

7. We understand that leftover drafts can cause confusion although it’s also possible to confirm that a message has been sent by reviewing the Sent folder. What you describe sounds like this issue, for which we have now also increased the priority: https://github.com/runbox/runbox7/issues/644

8. Yes, we have made a number of improvements to Contacts export and import as well.

We have existing issues for a condensed layout (https://github.com/runbox/runbox7/issues/550) and dark theme (https://github.com/runbox/runbox7/issues/15, https://github.com/runbox/runbox7/issues/866).

Runbox 7 is a Javascript (Angular) app and saving web pages is more reliable as PD via the browser’s Print function.

And the developers will certainly appreciate your comment. :slight_smile:

– Geir

@ondra Most of what you suggest is already possible; see our help page here:

https://help.runbox.com/runbox-7-webmail-new-features/#Search_parameters

Date ranges is partially implemented by using the format YYYY or YYYYMM via the Advanced search interface (by clicking on the wrench icon next to the search field). Note however that there is an issue when combining this with other expressions: https://github.com/runbox/runbox7/issues/986

And thanks for the kind words! :slight_smile:

– Geir

Geir, great page. Why not to include it in the documentation? Somehow when searching for the term “search” on the help portal (input field on the entry page), this page does not appear.