Getting started contributing to Runbox 7

Do you like Runbox 7 but think it could be better? Then this post is for you! :smiley:

There are many ways you can get involved and help make Runbox 7 better not just for yourself, but for everyone who is using it daily.

Suggestions

The easiest way to get involved is simply to suggest improvements. We encourage you to do this here in our forum, where you can get immediate feedback from our community.

Just click the New Topic button in the top right corner, and start writing! Make sure you pick a suitable category for your post so that others can easily find it.

Bug reports

Find something that doesn’t work as expected? We’d like to hear about it!

You may post bug reports here in the Runbox Forum, but ideally you use the issue tracker on Github: Issues ¡ runbox/runbox7 ¡ GitHub

There it’s easier for us to keep track of all issues relating to Runbox 7, and we won’t have to cross-post both places.

If you do add an issue to Github, we would appreciate it if you follow our issue submission guidelines. Thanks!

Code

More than anything we love code contributions, so if you see something that needs fixing or have an idea that you are able to put into code, we have a great program for you!

There are both bugs waiting to be squashed and features waiting to be implemented, and we have marked some of them as good first issues for newcomers.

Bug fixes

We now offer bug bounties on 4 different levels, corresponding to the bugs listed on Github.

Before you start, please review our Pull Request guidelines.

Features

We have a growing list of requested functionality, in addition to the list of features defined in the Runbox 7 Roadmap, all eligible for feature bounties and up for grabs!

Again, before you start, please review our Pull Request guidelines.

Tests

As we develop Runbox 7 it’s important that we add tests to ensure that new functionality works as expected and doesn’t introduce issues that affect existing functionality.

Helping with end-to-end test can be both fun and valuable, so have a look at our End-to-end tests multi-issue!

Design and graphics

Aside from a blazingly fast user interface with exceptional functionality, we want Runbox 7 to look beautiful.

If you see room for improvement and would like to contribute graphics elements or themes, let us know – we will make it worth your while!

Design and Graphics:
Minor problem, but I’m no way a techy user, just a basic user. The new , two updates ago I think, full page/half page icon does not render well on an iPad (ios12), the circle appears cut off at bottom left, OK on android, but not a neat circle, and OK on Windows Web, but visually does not work as well as the old arrow. Had a look yesterday at the screen shots you have on the pages anouncing RB7, and have to say they look better. Someone has posted elsewhere about the <> icon, being a bit confusing as to its function. Could do with a next/previous etc., though I rarely use that.

Connected to this, dragging the mail window up (iOS) sometimes works, sometimes just sticks and stops any consequent emails opening. Admittedly there is no need for this with the halfheight/full height arrow, but if it’s there then it’s be good if it worked. I think it works on Android and works fine on a desktop computer.

Adding App on home page iOs12. This did open OK initially, 25/08 update, opened once but then if you scroll the headings and part of main body disappear, resizing issue?. Had to delete app and then re-add to homescreen. But problem recurred. Next update fixed this (arrow changed in horizontal view grr). The latest update 01/09 problem back again. In fact the mail is not viewable at all. However, with all three versions RB7 was fine when viewed as a page in Safari and other browsers.

Have problem logging in with Opera Touch, won’t recognise password, but suspect that’s to do with Opera data saving feature.

When I first tried RB7 I was a little unsure where it was trying to go. I couldn’t quite figure out how to use it, until I tried it on Android and thought “Aha it is for touchscreens”. That was using it in a browser. NOw having used it as an app in it’s own right on Android and iOS, I’m finding it works best in a browser on a desktop computer. On Android I haven’t had the problems I’ve had with iOS, but it still doesn’t resize perfectly. On the other hand Runbox is not all about RB6/7, but about providing an email service. The features available are obviously geared to people who really know what they are doing with email and need to see detail that folks like me didn’t really need, or even know existed.