Pros and Cons so far

Hi guys,
I use Runbox daily since April 2019, so it’s almost 3-years now.
I came from (mainly) Gmail… I was really fed up because of lack of privacy.
The main aim for me was to find a good solution ad a fair price and I moved to Runbox.
So far, I’m very happy about privacy, spam, service stability, aliases and many other things, so, thank you for all the good stuff.
Besides that, I must admit that I don’t like both Runbox 6 and Runbox 7 as web interfaces, and I encounter several hiccups trying to do things I was used to with Gmail.
At the moment, I’m struggling because of the lack of labels (already pointed out quite a while ago in this forum) and the general UI of Runbox 7 is sub par imho. In addition, some html mail simply won’t show up at all, importing the address book from gmail was a total pain, and I found difficult to perform some actions in general.
Despite all of that, I’m now continue using Runbox both for personal and for professional purposes.
I really hope the UI of Runbox 7 will be significantly updated.
Thanks @Geir and @Dave for all the hard work. Hope we will see a significant improvement soon.

Regards

Francesco

1 Like

I no longer have faith that it will ever be alright with RB7. What does this development all cost? RB6 is from the web 1.0 era and very outdated. Better to revive Roundcube. Within an hour installed and no worry about updates and features. Then they can focus on making their backend better (IMAP/POP down for more than 11 hours on Feb. 5th).

1 Like

I agree - bring back Roundcube!

Thank you for your comments!

After a period of expansive development resulting in a lot of new features, we are currently in an intensive bug fixing phase working hard to streamline the Runbox 7 interface.

We have organized this phase into several “quality” milestones over the next few weeks and months as seen here:

All the issues mentioned here in the forum should have corresponding issues on Github that we are working to resolve, but we would in particular be interested in more details about the UI being “sub par”.

We are of course aware of some aforementioned aspects relating to this, but the more opinions and discussions we can generate the better positioned we will be to make Runbox 7 the best email interface possible.

Runbox has never had a cookie-cutter approach to email and service development, as our goal since the very beginning has always been to innovate and find better solutions than the existing status quo.

Ready-made solutions such as Roundcube may appear attractive, but they would severely limit our offering and flexibility in developing exciting features and functionality. Additionally, a custom-built UI can be integrated with related services such as identities, calendaring, task management, file storage, email/domain hosting, settings, payment, and admin functionality, and a number of features we are planning for the future.

You can find more background for the Runbox 7 project via our Roadmap here in the forum.

We greatly appreciate your feedback and support, and can assure you that we are focusing our resources towards improving Runbox 7 to a level you will be satisfied and impressed with. :slight_smile:

– Geir

The UI is “sub par” for several reasons. Some of them are:

1. The “Read/Unrear” toggling menu is not intuitive (and not working at the moment)
  2. It happens too often that some html emails won’t show up properly
  3. The Address Book looks very old
  4. The alphabetical hierarchy consider capital letters first. This way a Folder named “APPLE” comes first than a folder named “Amazon”. Very counter-intuitive.
  5. The “select all” toggle select just the shown email by default.
  6. The color schemes available needs a restyling
  7. Some settings sections still point to Runbox 6 graphics (i.e.: the retreive sections)
1 Like

Hi again @ilcieco and thanks for expanding on your feedback. Since your comment we have deployed numerous bug fixes including those shown here:

I will respond to each of your comments below:

1. The read/unread toggle should be fixed or at least improved with this commit, so let us know if it continues to be a problem in your account: fix(maillist): Ensure we display errors when api returns them by castaway · Pull Request #1277 · runbox/runbox7 · GitHub
  2. HTML message display has been improved incrementally over the past weeks/months. If there are still messages that will not load we would greatly appreciate an example (username and message ID submitted via https://support.runbox.com).
  3. If you are referring to Runbox 7 Contacts, could you elaborate a bit further on the improvements you would like to see?
  4. Agree with this, and created this issue for it: Alphabetical folder order should be case insensitive · Issue #1286 · runbox/runbox7 · GitHub
  5. We could change the default behavior of the “select all” checkbox (clicking and holding will show the option to select all rows), but this could perhaps be confusing and have unintended effects. We are interested in more feedback about this from other users as well before we change this behavior.
  6. We have these issues for requests to include alternative themes/colors, although we don’t yet have a schedule for implementing such a feature: Create themes for Runbox 7 · Issue #15 · runbox/runbox7 · GitHub, Alternative themes for Runbox 7 · Issue #866 · runbox/runbox7 · GitHub
  7. Once we have completed the Quality Milestone phase we are currently in, and which is scheduled to finish by the end of August, we plan to return to the Runbox 7 Roadmap which includes upgrading the remaining Runbox 6 screens to Angular (Runbox 7): The Runbox 7 Roadmap

Thanks again for your comments – they are much appreciated and very useful as we continue working to make Runbox 7 the best webmail app possible!

– Geir

1 Like

Hi @Geir,

1. Happy to hear that. ATM the issue is still there, but I hope that the next update will solve it.
  2. I can confirm that html compatibility has increased. I’ll let you know if/when I’ll find mails with loading issues.
  3. In general, I don’t like the contact page. I found almost impossible to import the google address book via csv. Plus, the mail address field is too small. When I click on a contact, his/her mail address is not fully visible as a glance if it’s a long one (i.e.: an address like “geir.thomas.andersen@norway-online.no” will not show up at once in the mail field. I need to click on it and scroll in order to see/check the whole address. This is because the space dedicated to the address is fixed. Plus, the “Save Changes”, “Discard Changes” and “Delete this contact” buttons at the bottom should be much more “buttons-like”. I find myself searching for them all the time, since they’re somehow “merged” in the gray background. I think that using a more distinctive look to the confirmation buttons will be necessary, especially if you think about all the people with some sort of visual handicaps/difficulties. Why not to consider the very typical green/red options? The clean UI is cool, but it must still grant some sort of “easy access for everyone”.
  4. Glad to hear that you’re working to move to case insensitive order.
  5. Let’s see what other users think of it.
  6. Offering a wider set of themes is not urgent, I agree.
  7. Good to hear that.

Let me add an old request… Having labels will highly improve the experience.
I really miss them, since label let the user categorize mail the best way possible.
Folders force you to move mails, and if you need to categorize the same mail in more than 1 category, you’re forced to duplicate the mail in order to put it in 2 (or more) different folders.
I really like the idea of being able to label the same mail with different labels (i.e.: if I receive a mail from PayPal containing the receipt of my last purchase at nike.com, I may want to label that same mail with the label “PayPal” + with the label “Receipt” + with the label “Nike” at the same time.

Hope my feedbacks will be helpful.
Regards
Francesco