What can I do about CalDav and CardDav on Android devices?

Hi community,

CalDav and CardDav works great on ios. What client can I use on Android devices?

Iā€™m not personally familiar with all the options for Android, but I know a popular app is DavDroid which actually syncs contacts and calendar to the default apps on Android (or any others you choose). It doesnā€™t have contacts and calendar interfaces itself.

Thank you, Dave. That seems to be the most popular and stable option now.

Hi there, on all our Android devices we have been very successfully using " ContactSync - CardDAV and more" and " CalendarSync - CalDAV and more" they work very well and the support if needed is brilliant. I have been using these on Runbox since CalDAV and CardDAV first became availableā€¦

Cheers, Derek

1 Like

Thanks for the tip. I have used DavX5 instead after some research and recommendation. What a bummer that Android did not have these by default.

2 Likes

Hi there.

I am a happy user of DavX5.

Works just fine!

1 Like

I also use DavX5 and it works fine !

By the way, it is also possible to ā€œcopyā€ all the contacts from one an address book to an other on android.
This way, I was able to copy all my contact from an other davx5 account to runbox account.

Here is a link https://www.davx5.com/faq/existing-contacts-are-not-synced

It can be an alternate way to import your address book to runbox.
If you donā€™t have too many contacts, it may worth to review a bit the content after such transfert.

If someone know a similar way to copy a calendar to an other one, Iā€™m interested :slight_smile:

Thank you for sharing about copying contacts :slight_smile:

Hi there, @saunada - how did you get the account set up on DavX5? I just get the message ā€œCouldnā€™t find CalDAV or CardDAV serviceā€ when I try to set it up.

Grateful for any tips!

Make sure you have turned on ā€˜WebDavā€™ under account/account security/manage services.

Then I use a separate APP Password for DavX5 and set this in the account/account security/App passwords window.

Then when you configure you DavX account on your phone make sure you use the correct URL https://dav.runbox.com/

and the password configured in the previous step along with my email address to login (i.e. use the ā€˜Login with URL and user nameā€™ option in DavX5).

Hope this helps

DAVx5 works great. Have you set up the app password in Runbox security if you are using 2FA?

Did you use dav.runbox.com for Caldav and Carddav servers?

Can you provide some screen shots of your settings?

Thanks both! I think it was the 2FA that was causing problems, set up an app password and that seems to have done the trick :smiley:

Thanks!

Having the same problem, but not sure where the security settings to turn on Webdav in the chromebook is. Unfortunately, Iā€™m not finding it.

Sorry for being so needy, but could you detail the location?

I think you misunderstood. Or I wasnā€™t clear enough.

You need to log into your runbox account (via the web interface) and then choose account/account security/manage services from your ā€˜runboxā€™ account - not your chromeos settings - and go from there.

You are turning on the webdav ā€˜serviceā€™ of your runbox account.

I hope that is clearer.

Hoping someone can walk me through getting DAVx5 working with Runbox and a couple of Android devices again.I previously had this working between 3 Android phones. 2 of those phones no longer function and when I open up DAVx5 on the remaining phone, the account is there but I no longer had an address book under the CardDAV tab.

I created a new address book (using the Runbox server, which was already autofilled) , exported my contacts from my phone and imported them to the new address book. I was hoping to see them appear in Runbox 7. My contacts are currently empty and I think they had never appeared from my previous address book. Iā€™ve also tried syncing a new Android phone by adding my Runbox account with the login using URL and password option, and it canā€™t find the account.

Would love some guidance on maybe something Iā€™ve overlooked.

I donā€™t know what changed, but this morning my old address books showed up on my old Android phone along with the new one I created, but they are are showing an internal server error for all of the address books trying to sync. Nevertheless, I tried adding my account to my new phone, which promptly showed all 4 address books on my account. I synced the latest one only to try and avoid duplicates and the contacts are now showing on my phone.

They are still not showing in Runbox however and Iā€™d feel more secure if they were also there. Any tips on how to get them to show up? Iā€™m using the dav runbox URL, so it appears my contacts are going through Runbox servers. Donā€™t know what to try next.

When you say ā€œthey are still not showing in Runboxā€ do you mean in RB6 or RB7 or both?

RB7. I havenā€™t checked RB6, as I thought that didnā€™t support CardDAV?

Thatā€™s correct. I know that, but I didnā€™t know if you did.

I donā€™t use CardDAV on my Android 'phone, but I do on my computer (using CardBook in Thunderbird) and that works OK with Runbox.

Just to check, the contacts that you have in Thunderbird show up in RB7? The sync is supposed to be multi-directional, right? Is there a setting in Runbox I need to check to view the contacts?